You’re invited to join my FREE 7 Day Mindfulness Challenge. CLICK HERE if your intuition has been telling you that it is time for a change. Here is your opportunity! Do you lose the plot on a regular basis? Do you forget where you were going, why you walked into the next room, or what you were about to say? Do you lose your keys, lock yourself out of your car or home?
Did you know this leads to anxiety and depression? According to Ayurveda, this behavior is associated with a Vata imbalance.The wisdom teachings of yoga teach us that the balance of the 5 elements in our bodies will help us maintain our health and well being. The air element is wonderful for moving energy, stoking new creativity, stirring up your enthusiasm. If the air element combined with the space element you can become spacey, ungrounded, and easily distracted. You will find yourself going from one project to the next never completing anything. You will often feel overwhelmed, anxious, and have trouble sleeping. Usually this imbalance occurs more frequently after women go through menopause or are pregnant. But it also can also occur for everyone as they move into Vata time of life after age 50. Shifting levels of hormones, change of seasons, transitioning into Vata season (Fall) and travel all cause a Vata imbalance.
LACK OF ENERGY & FOCUSYour lack of groundedness is causing you to have sleep disturbances which leads to unevenness of energy throughout the day. You can have moments of total clarity and focus followed by feeling spacey, tired, dull or exhausted. By constantly depleting your body you will feel like you are always running on empty. Napping is said to really improve your heart health. 15-20 minute power naps are really wonderful for rejuvenating your energy. If you need more than a 10-20 minute nap a day you need to get more rest. The effects of sleep deprivation over time are scary. The lack of quality rest and not enough REM cycles or deep sleep will adversely affect your memory, focus and concentration. According to Webmd.com here are the effects of sleep deprivation over time.
- Heart disease
- Irregular heart beat
- High blood pressure
- Kills your sex drive
- Causes accidents
- Dumbs you down
- Can contribute to causing depression
- Ages your skin
- Messes with your memory
- Puts on extra weight and makes it hard to lose it once it is on.
- Impairs your judgement (you might think you can get away with 6 hours of sleep…. NOT!!)
HOW YOUR BELLY DISTURBS YOUR SLEEP AND MIND FOCUSWhat throws a lot of us off balance is chronic inflammation in our microbiome. Digestive issues will contribute to brain fog and sleep deprivation. If you have ever tried to sleep on a full belly you will get how important it is that you eat early and lighter in order to get a good night’s rest. What causes inflammation in your gut?
- Processed Foods (breads, pasta, chips, cookies, candy ,cakes) anything that does not grow in nature.
- Any food that has been treated with radiation, chemicals, hormones, antibiotics.
- Meat and fish that has been given food that is not in the animals natural diet.
- Heating foods with microwaves in plastic containers.
- Eating too heavy late at night, past 7:00 pm.
- A diet that includes refined sugar.
- Having the same foods every day.
- Gobbling down your food too quickly while walking, standing, or driving.
- Taking a huge amount of supplements instead of eating wholesome fresh organic foods.
- Sitting down for a meal when you’re upset.